It’s Rosh Hashanah, better understood as “Jewish New Year.”
Today I’d like to remind you that hand in hand with college drinking is the problem of sexual assault on campus. No victim blaming is intended here, but if you are headed off to college — especially if you are female — here are some things you need to remember:
- Sexual assault is a crime and should be reported to police, not campus officials. It should be prosecuted in a real court and not a campus disciplinary panel designed to deal with such infringements as scholastic dishonesty.
- Your campus may have a vested interest in making sure few serious crimes — including sexual assault — are reported. After all, they want to look parents of prospective students in the eye and talk about their low crime rate.
- Victims of a crime have the right to have their complaint taken seriously, even if the alleged perpetrator is a campus hero.
- More protections might be coming, but they of course must be balanced against the rights of the accused (who are still “innocent until proven guilty”, and yes some are unjustly accused — another argument for involving the real police and real courts early).
- Just like with most crimes, it is always a good idea to be a little proactive about not becoming a victim. Use common sense. Use the “buddy system” when you go out and keep an eye out for one another. Watch your consumption of booze and other intoxicants. Be aware that not-nice people exist. These tips are useful for preventing theft and the more mundane sort of assault too.
Look, I sincerely hope you never ever have to call the cops to report a crime on campus. Likewise, I hope you won’t hesitate if the need arises.
In Closing: More on privacy, watchlists, and “reform“, with a bonus blast from the past; dude, highway deaths are so down in Colorado; in the Navy; co-signing is a bad idea; mountain lions don’t like opera; airport playground.
Japanfilter: Mt Fuji is at risk of eruption.
Expect Republicans to call for NASA spending cuts in 3…2…1….: NASA explains the last decade.
No kidding: Prince Harry is considered a high value target.
Did you know we had one?: Las Vegas Chinatown.
Hold your nose and vote: Amen Jill.
No argument from me: Unlike most “liberals” and “progressives,” I’m not a fan of gun control. After all, the Founding Fathers who wrote the 2nd Amendment overthrew the government. Money quote: “The real point is that gun control fails because gun control laws are only effective against law-abiding people.”
Well, something is repressed: a quick quiz.
Empty Apology: Yeah. Just trying to help. Sure. I hope a real woman runs against her using this as ammo.
The Italians Noticed: The right to vote is imperiled in America.
One Miiiiiiiiiilion Dollars! Muahahahahahahahaha!: That’s what Larry Flynt is offering for Rmoney’s tax returns. Heck, I wonder if that’s enough money for Ann Romney to send them in.
Why was it there in the first place?: ~21,000,000 compromised medical records, 54% due to stolen computers, including laptops where the data should NEVER have been in the first place.
Mental Health Parity: What if we treated every illness the way we treat mental illness?
And Finally: Fireflies.