George Harrison and Eric Clapton playing the opening track of Revolver, which is in my opinion the best album the Beatles ever did:
Just a reminder, my ideas for tax simplification include:
- Make the standard deduction equal to the poverty line. Nobody will be “taxed into poverty” ever again.
- Cap itemized deductions at 3 or 4 times that. Most people will never itemize anyway.
- AMT is now obsolete, so get rid of it.
- Adjust the brackets accordingly. I’m sure the IRS has policy wonks who can do this in a long weekend.
- Add a handful of “front page” deductions everyone can take over and above the standard or itemized deductions. These should be really important things. I suggest health insurance premiums, adoption expenses, charitable giving, and mass transit expenses.