You remember the Rob Dougan? The guy who did that amazing song that happened to be featured in one of the Matrix movies? The song is called Clubbed to Death. Turns out there’s a Clubbed to Death II:
The source material is a lovely Chopin Prelude:
As our school and college students prepare to head back to school, I thought I’d go ahead and round up some things I’ve said over the years (mostly, with a couple new links too) for your entertainment:
- Schools are important even if you don’t have kids attending them.
- Sexual assault is a crime. Avoid committing crimes, avoid being a crime victim, and report crime to the police.
- Advice for college students regarding alcohol.
- Attending class prepared is good for your grades. I know, right? Who knew?
- Be aware of how much homework your kids have, how much crap is in their backpacks, and of course the information regarding the latest school fundraiser.
- It turns out that this is still true.
Have a great school year.
Usually not this kind, though.
- Henry Rollins once said that the iron doesn’t lie. And he is correct.
- The treadmill doesn’t lie either. You can’t lie to yourself about how fast you’re going or how hard you’re working. There is no stopping to look at something interesting, no stopping to take a sip of water. You either keep pace, or you fall on your face.
- Most of the trainers I’ve met are nice people whose profession is helping people out. Of course they’d like you to be their client, but that’s business.
- I’ve been complimented on my flexibility. It doesn’t matter whether or not you can lift 200 pounds if you can’t reach your shoelaces.
- If you go to a gym, you will encounter a vast array of physical fitness levels (well, most places anyway). Remember that each one of them needs to be paying attention to their own workout; chances are they don’t care what you look like — and will only notice you if you’re clearly in trouble. They’re not laughing at you. They aren’t “miring” you.
- There appears to be a small number of songs that will never go out of style as far as gym playlists are concerned. Iron Man is on that list.
So then here’s a story that has two sides, after a fashion. On one side, banks know that if there’s a back door to their communications that governments can use, there is by definition a back door that Bad Guys can use*. On the other side, these same banks have a history of not exactly being Good Guys themselves, and some are rightly pointing out that this same security prevents the legitimate government action of rooting out and punishing unlawful actions.
* I know, I actually agreed with something That Asshat Michael Chertoff said! Alert the media.